Thursday, August 4, 2011

commitment and doubt

"The relationship between commitment and doubt is by no means an antagonistic one. Commitment is healthiest when it is not without doubt, but in spite of doubt."
~ Rollo May, 1975, The Courage to Create, p. 21
I tend to be timid in new situations, yet I push myself into the new situations. I would say that this is my commitment in spite of doubt. Tuesday night I went to an event here in Columbus, called Wonderblender,  which was set up as a mixer for techies and artists to meet and create collectively. There wern't many details going into the event. I really had no clue as to what the expectations were. My husband drove me there, and I told him "I feel like a kid on the first day of school going to a brand new school" FEAR! What if I am not creative enough? What if I am the only one there with out an idea, What if I can't get a word in edgewise? Yet I was committed to this event, knowing in my heart the worst that would happen was a boring evening (realizing this was unlikely). It turned out to be an incredible networking opportunity with great ideas abounding.
At check in I was given a button that said "artist", and techies were given buttons which said "techie". It was set up like speed dating. Artists sat at tables and techies rotated. Every 4 minutes a bell rang and the techies would move. Amazing how much information two people can share in such a short time. Business cards and ideas were flying, doors to new opportunities were opening. I met all sorts of people, and I also learned that I am exceptionally innovative and creative.

No comments:

Post a Comment